Sunday, January 17, 2010

longing

Randomly, a theme for our next Women’s Retreat just popped into my head, because I recently read Brennan Manning’s The Furious Longing of God and am currently reading Ruth Haley Barton (I just adore her)’s Longing for More: a Woman’s Path to Spiritual Transformation in Christ and after Mark’s first identifying characteristic in his message this weekend for defending the Gospel was longing. It’s so universal, but I think it gets us especially as women, because it makes us feel weak. Of course, when we’re weak with longing, we’re reflecting God’s image, because there’s a part of Him that longs for us, too. And then, to think of all the things we chase after to try to satisfy the longing when of course, the only thing that can fulfill it is God Himself. It’s the same message, it always is, isn’t it? (When I taught elementary school, during Bible lessons, my first graders would arbitrarily answer “Jesus” to everything because they figured out that 9 times out of 10, Jesus was the answer. I started getting trickier after a while.) But it’s so simple. The answer is always the same. But simple and easy are not synonymous - it would be easier to satisfy myself with power and materials and sex and affirmation and substances. To be happy with the ways of the world would be a stroll on the beach. Instead (masochist), I have decided to follow Jesus, who does not stroll on beaches but walks through fire. For fun. Because you’re a better you when you come out the other side. The thing is, my longing? It’s better aimed in one direction. His. Because He doesn’t change, He affirms my longing, and longs for me, as well.

No comments: